Tibet Permits and China Visa

Tibet Entry Permit (TTB) and Alien’s Travel Permits (PSB)

Chinese Visa

Tibet the ‘Roof of the world’ is part of China, under the Chinese Central Government’s Sovereignty. Hence to travel to Tibet from any parts of mainland China, you have to obtain a China Visa at the first stage before all are followed up.
The first rule when applying for a visa as an independent traveler is to expect that you will be refused a visa if you mention plans to visit Tibet. There is a trick that when you apply for a Chinese visa, you can’t tell the officer that you have the plan for traveling to Tibet; you can only inform them you want to travel to somewhere else of China. Or else the application would become complicated and arduous.

Note: If you are traveling from Kathmandu, you need a Tibet group visa which we will apply at the Chinese embassy in Kathmandu. This visa is also valid for mainland China which will be a single entry for 25 to 30days. Click here for more information on Tibet Group Visa.

You can get the China Visa in the China Embassy close to you. And the China visa can be divided into a few kinds, but here we mainly talk about the “L” kind which means a travel visa. With this visa, you can come to Tibet from any part of China. But you need a permit to enter Tibet.

Tibet Travel Permit

Tibet Tourism Bureau (TTB) Permits are necessary for entry to Lhasa or any other part of the Tibetan Autonomous Region, and are obtained through tour operators as part of arrangements for travel; A T.T.B. permit does not obviate the need for an Aliens’ Travel Permit for any closed areas that may be visited. But you can get them easily from us.

How to get travel permits?

Since we are a Tibet specialist travel agency, it’s quite easy for you to get a travel permit with our help. Simply send us your copy of the passport; we will apply for your travel permits.

You need to apply for the travel permit at least 35 days prior to your entry date.

Please note that if you do not book any tour from us, we can not help you get the permits. No travel agency can provide a permit-only service. Below you can find a note from Lonely Planet:

Lhasa PSB will not issue travel permits to individuals and will direct you to a travel agency. Agencies can arrange a travel permit to almost anywhere but only if you book a Land Cruiser, driver and guide.

Important Issues about Tibet Travel Permit

1. All kinds of people can get Tibet to permit through a travel agency except diplomats, journalists, and government officials who should travel to Tibet under the arrangement by the Foreign Affairs Office of Tibet Government.

2. After having a permit, a travel agency could buy you the air tickets, and you can pass the check-in at the airport and the checkpoint reroute with the permit.

3. Only the guide could hold the permit after you establish yourself on Tibet land. You are not allowed to bring with it and travel to anywhere you want because except Lhasa you need another permit named as “Aliens’ Permit”. Otherwise, if you are stopped by the police you will be sent out of Tibet or have trouble politically and economically. Furthermore, the travel agency which helped to get you the permit will also be in trouble.

Therefore seriously not any legitimate travel agency could sell you the Tibet permit if you do not book a tour with them. We don’t think you would like to be in trouble due to a “sold” Tibet permit after you pay a lot of money for the tour.

If you still have any questions about Tibet permit, please feel free to Contact Us.

Alien’s Travel Permits (PSB)

These are required to visit closed areas – much of the Tibetan Autonomous Region outside the Lhasa prefecture-level district, and scattered counties elsewhere. They are usually only obtainable through tour operators, for tours by four-wheel-drive cars.

Permits to visit places that are not declared open are known as Alien’s Travel Permits, or PSB. They are issued by the police (Public Security Bureau, “PSB”). A single permit is normally issued to all the people who are traveling together, the permit naming just one of them and stating how many others are accompanying him; the passports, or at least photocopies of passports and visas, of all person traveling must be presented in order to obtain a permit.

Forgoing to a more remote area, you need more permits. For example, if you travel overland from Lhasa to Everest base camp or Kathmandu to EBC, besides the documents stated above, you still need the special permit which most provide you before your trip departure.

Can you tell me more?

We try to give you as much information as we can to help you choose the service you need, though if you still have more questions please feel free to look at our Frequently Asked Questions or contact us directly at 98510 36844 (Ram Kumar) and we will be happy to help.


Trip Advisor Recognations

Our goal at Alpine Eco Trek is to deliver the most unforgettable and epic journeys to our clients. We create memories that are to be remembered for a lifetime. Memories you can be proud of and can share with everyone around you...


Need a Reference ?

American flag Hermosa Beach, CA 90254

American flag Redondo Beach, CA

  • Associations:

  • registered-image
  • registered-image
  • registered-image
  • registered-image
  • registered-image
  • Sister Concern:

  • associations
  • associations